Today I’m happy to host a blog tour spot with debut author Dorine White who’s novel THE EMERALD RING released May 14, 2013.
• What books inspired you as a child?
Most of my favorite books had elements of fantasy, such as the Narnia series and the Mary Poppins series. I also inhaled all the Nancy Drew books. As I got into my teens I was into Dragon Lance and The Forgotten Realms.
• Do you have any strange rituals that help you get in the mood to work?
No rituals, but it needs to be quiet. I’m not the type to write with music playing.
• Coming from a mother of three kids; how do you achieve quiet at your house? Enquiring minds want to know!
It is not often. Sometimes I skip dinner and evening TV and write while dad keeps the kids occupied. Other times I try to squeeze in some while the youngest is at preschool. If I’m desperate I lock the bedroom door and tell the older kids to watch the younger kids. I’m not a writer that sits down to write every day, so I go with the flow.
• Which writer would you travel back in time and spy on, if you could? I’d like to spy on Jane Austen. I love her quirky sense of humor and am inspired that she wrote such amazing books during a time when women were not thought of as authors.
• Who is your favorite Austen character?
I have to stick with Pride and Prejudice and say Elizabeth, but honestly, it is Jane’s writing and all her slights that get me laughing.
• If you could meet any literary character, who would it be?
Harry Potter. I know, totally modern day, but I love magic.
• At this point in your life, is there a genre or style of writing that you are afraid to attempt?
I’ve always been afraid to attempt romance. I can come up with a great story line, but I have no clue how to put intimate parts on paper. Also, I don’t like horror, period. I don’t want to have nightmares, and as a writer, you always think about your stories over and over. Yuck. Not going there.
Thanks for chatting, Dorine. I enjoyed your book and hope others do, too!
Leave a Reply